1) Close reading~ I have never heard of this before, but I would assume it would be reading in detail or looking for specifics in the reading. It is defined in google as, "a method in which you pay close attention to a text, either in order to observe striking features generally or in order to answer specific ..." which is basically what I wrote.
2)Pastoral~ I would define as the actions of a shephard, since he would take care of his pastor. One of the definitions of pastoral is "A person or thing associated with the tending of livestock" and its etymology is classical Latin p st r lis. If someone was pastoral they would certainly pay close attention to their livestock.
3) Mistress~ A lover to a married man. It is defined as a women having control or authority, and its etymology is Norman and Middle French maistress and Italian maestressa. So, I guess if a women is in charge she is focused on the specifics of something.
4) Nymph~ I don't know much about this word either but I believe it is a mythical creature of some type. It is defined as "Any of a class of semi-divine spirits, imagined as taking the form of a maiden inhabiting the sea, rivers, mountains, woods, trees, etc., and often portrayed in poetry as attendants on a particular god." So, although it can be a real person thats just a beautiful women it is given the idea of perfection and therefore able to be near higher power. Its etymology is Middle french.
Thursday, January 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment