~The translation by Philip Nikolayev is the better one, because the words choosen create a more powerful tone than the other which appears melancholy. The obvious similarity is that both poems have five paragraphs each, and that each one has the same conclusion for each paragraph even though worded differently. An example of why the first translation is better is in a comparison of lines 9, the first is , "Alone, alone amid a naked flatland" and the second is "I stand alone, the bare expanses viewing." The first is clearly a better example of imagery, you can picture the idea of lonliness a lot more.
~Hills Like White Elephants: I am concluded that the statement that is the title was made by the girl to just draw attention away from the argument to something she found intriguing. The argument is a little fussy as to the exact topic that they are talking about, but a vague idea is thought of. That is especially since white is usually related to purity or innocence.
~Jamaica Kincaid: Interesting how the color white is used in the beginning of this story. It shows how a women is suppose to be perfect lady, doing this and that in the exact way she is taught. She is suppose to appear to be honest and dutiful, but she will become a slut because she has no choice in the ways of her own life, the men decide in this poem.
Monday, January 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I agree with what Casey said, how she mentioned that the wife was taking the attention away from herself and focusing it on something else was exactly what I was thinking.
I like how she described the white and how it usually represents purity and innocence, it goes well with what the story is about.
Post a Comment