Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Thursday's Reading!!!

Margaret Atwood’s “Siren Song” (CR 304-305) ~ This poem shows how impacting the song is to men, and that the noise is what occurs before people die because it means there is an emergency about to occur. The bird suit most likely just represents how a person can be so guarded with someone until you finally open up. So when the person told the story the bird suit could come off, and then the person would have been helped.

Alfred, Lord Tennyson’s “Ulysses” (CR 454-456)~ This story is full of imagery. The entire point of the story is to glorify the Ulysses for his performance in the Trojan War, since it was due to him they won. It discusses his son Telemachus, how he does work when he is gone but never fails to remember how he loves him and do the right things. The quote, " Were all too little, and of one to me Little remains; but every hour is saved." is very significant because it talks about how slow the time in the war is going, and how they are all to same to be able to take on the war by themselves.


William Butler Yeats’s “Leda and the Swan” (CR 475-476)~ This poem is very intriguing it starts off giving the feeling that the girl is trapped inside the swan. She is to weak to get out, and is very scared of the whole situation. It mentions how Agamemnon is dead who was fighting the trojan war for his wife back. Zeus was the swan so of course he overpowered Leda, and finally at the end he lets her go.

6 comments:

Meghan said...

I thought it was interesting how you brought up the fact that there was a lot of imagery in "Ulysses." I think I got caught up in trying to analyze the meaning of the poem that I forgot about everything else that was happening.

Kevin Kraft said...

I like your view on Leda and the Swan, you do a good job explaining how Zeus overpowers Leda and hoe that is what the poem is about.

DW said...

I thought that the Ulysses story was more about Ulysses desire for another adventure rather than his old ones.

Brad Dimock said...

I like your interpretation of "Siren Song." I didn't see at first the song being an emergency warning to the people. I interpreted the poem being about how men could fall so easily even when they see the danger(the beached skulls).

Steph said...

I like the idea of the sirens being trapped in a bird suit. The imagery helps with the interpretation of the helplessness of the sirens. I also liked your interpretation of the story about Leda. Her being trapped inside of the swan adds to the idea that the gods overpower human life.

KCieslak330 said...

I also agreed with your interpretation of "Ulysses" He was definitely being glorified in this story.