Thursday, April 17, 2008

Thursday the 17th

Ursula LeGuin’s “She Unnames Them” (CR 166-168)~ I found this very interesting, because my friend Josh often proposes the idea about questioning what your talking about when you just say the name of something. Such as, what is happiness? Isn't happiness just an identity to an extreme feeling your experiencing...then, what are feelings? So when she starts to talk about how the animals accept their names, I have to say how do we know that. They don't speak our language, so in their minds they refer to themselves completely differently. Humans only accepted their names, and each name is different depending on the language.
T.S. Eliot’s “Journey of the Magi” (CR 364-366)~ There was a lot of interesting symmetry in this story. Such as, "The camels galled..." All of it helps to place the story in a period in time far in the past. The story makes the reader feel very sorry for the speaker, whose journey is not an easy one, and who is very into biblical things. It bothers him dremendously that he sees sinners without Jesus in their world, and he can not wait for Jesus to save them in the last paragraph when he starts to talk about birth and death.
Tony Harrison’s “A Cold Coming” (CR 395-399)~ This story puts an interesting twist to the newest advances in technology. In a way it appears nice that the soldiers want a part of them to roam on after they die, but is it healthy for a wife to freeze her dead husbands sperm? She would be having a baby by a man that was dead for possibly many years, by that time your suppose to have moved on. I just don't know if I agree that all the soldiers should be saving their sperm in a flask for hopes of reproducing.

2 comments:

Monica said...

Me and your friend Josh seem a lot alike. I question everything and want to know the answer or reason for most things.

KCieslak330 said...

I liked how in "she unnames them" your brought in the aspect of happiness. I thought it was cool that you read that story and took somethint totally different out of it